Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What a Milestone!!!

Today is a day I have dreamt of for years. Even before I was a mom I had those ideal images of my child being brilliant, picking up academic skills easily...well, of course he would. One of those images that has stood out for the longest is of my child wanting to and being able to read. A little four letter word that has caused so much frustration in this house. Being one who always had my nose in a book, I couldn't wait to share this enjoyment with my little ones. Seeing Little Man struggle, struggle and struggle some more just to get through a picture book still at eleven has torn at my heart oh, about a million times.

I can't tell you how many IEP (special education) meetings, developmental pediatrician and neurologist appointments and just casual discussions where I've said, "I don't care how long it takes, but I would love to see Little Man be able and desire to pick up a book and just start reading it one day."

Ladies and gentlemen....that day has come!!! Presenting Little Man and The Magic Treehouse Series Book 3:

My grandma sent the kids these books a while ago. I've tried and tried to get him interested in them - or anything really - and haven't had much luck. Then today, he picked one up, laid down on the bed, asked Beans to be totally quiet, and he did it - he started reading! Independently! No prompting! He can only read a page or two before he needs to take a break, but he came back to it on his own twice!

I'm not sure what's next in store for this kid, but he's got a whole world of possibilities that is falling into place. I can't wait to see what's next on this wild ride! <3

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Koty! What a wonderful, memorable moment.

    ReplyDelete