Thursday, August 13, 2009

First Day of School

I think today went pretty darn well, especially for the first day of school. Beans was very excited to go to second grade, round two and Little Man didn't let the retention hold him back - he told everyone he was in fourth grade anyways. It was a battle I chose not to fight. Since his class is 3rd, 4th and 5th it really doesn't matter.

The boys were up early this morning, bathed, dressed and were ready to go. Beans didn't seem anxious at all but Little Man alternated between anxious and excited. There was a little problem with the bus garage yesterday and they didn't have the ESE kids busing schedule ready yet...the day before school starting. They assured me they were doing it right then and the kids would be picked up.


We were outside at 8 am, school doesn't start until 9 so I figured that should give enough time. Beans van pulled up at 8:08 and he climbed on. A bus pulled up about 8:20, but it was going to our neighborhood school that neither of my kids go to. We wait...and wait. No ride for Little Man. Oh well, we climb in the car and I take him on my way to Beans' school.

I spent the day at Beans' school helping in the self-contained classroom and doing his meds and feeds today as two of the teachers were at a training. He did great. He looked so cute in the second grade class. I think he was just about the smallest kid in there, even though he was the oldest. He would have looked way out of place if he was in third like he was supposed to. The work was pretty hard for him, even on the first day. I hope he can catch up, at least he's not trying to keep pace in 3rd. That would have been a disaster.

I was very impressed with Beans' teacher. Mrs. G had all 19 second graders sitting quietly in their desks working when I came to get him for his meds. She has such a calm, positive, gentle demeanor and I think Beans will do really well there.

Little Man had a good day too! He got upset and was crying for his teacher from last year. So what did his teacher do? Called her right up and let them talk for a minute. Turned his day around and made him feel so much better. Other than a few minor glitches his home note sounds like he did well. This class may be hard for me to swallow but I have to admit, it's the right place for him.

Here's to a great school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment