Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What a Ride!

Each day Little Man brings a note home from his teacher telling how he did that day. Yesterday's letter was exactly what this Mom needed. It said "Amazing Intelligence!! Call me to discuss goals (academic)." OMG I was almost in tears for about the millionth time in the past week.

You see, several months ago there was great suspicion that Little Man was mentally retarded. At age 9 he still left letters out of his last name, could do single digit addition but not double, could spell cat and dog but not house. Testing in January showed severe learning disabilities in reading and writing, cognitive issues with processing speed and working memory but a normal IQ.

Don't get me wrong, he still has the learning disabilities and always will, BUT this teacher has found the greatness in my boy! She discovered he has a photographic memory. I think he's a little copy machine - he echos exactly what he's heard and apparently he has the visual part as well. Once when he was probably 5, my grandma and I took him to lunch. While unable to actually have a conversation he quoted a political ad precisely "Vote for XXX - he XXXX." We were cracking up.
This year is shaping up to be a great one. Little Man's teacher gets him - really, truly gets him. She sees the wonder in my boy that I love so. She's even going to be consulting the gifted teacher to find ways to expand on his strengths. Can you even believe that? Possibly retarded to learning disabilities to gifted. What a ride! He's such an incredible gift.

Beans is also doing fabulous! His mainstream teacher is so wonderful with him, he is happy, he is participating, he is learning. In fact, he's doing so very well that I am pushing the school to get him a 1:1 aide again. I feel very strongly that having his 1:1 back will be his Least Restrictive Environment and give him as much time during the day with the typical kids as possible. I've heard the "A" word (no, not that one you naughty people) several times today - I'm definitely up to the job - I'm these kids Advocate and they will get what they need.

If the rest of the year shapes up half as great as the first few days have gone, hold onto your hats because these boys are going to blossom.

3 comments:

  1. Great news! and I DID know which "A" word you meant! You are the boys' greatest advocate, as you should be! Way to go, everybody concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks so grown up!!! You must be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,

    I'm so glad to read that the boys are off to a wonderful year and that they have such wonderful teachers.

    ReplyDelete