Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Good Part

Tonight I got to do my favorite part of being a mom to special needs kiddos - I got to help out two other families going through similar struggles. While the kids enjoyed themselves, I talked to one mom whose baby is having a g-tube placed tomorrow. Beans even showed her his button and helped her feel much better about her daughter's new attachment.

Shortly after we finished talking, another mom pulled me aside. She had overheard me talking about the boys' Nissens (stomach wraps for reflux). Her son is scheduled to have one in the next few days and she was feeling very apprehensive and scared about it. I was able to talk to her about Little Man's and Beans' recoveries.

Then I remembered I had a Farrell valve (vent bag) up in the room. I'd grabbed it last minute, not really sure why - just in case I suppose. I ran up and got it and showed her how it lets someone be tube fed while still letting them vent (burp). She's been unable to hold her son for 10 days because he currently has a syringe rigged across his crib. I gave her the bag and she's going to have the hospital get some for her son. Thanks to the knowledge and help others gave me, I'm hoping little D will be snuggled back in his parents' arms very soon.

To end out the night, the Sheraton Vistana provided dinner at the RMH and brought along FUN! A lady painted the kids' faces, the two below (Christina and Sally) did magic tricks and taught them to juggle. Christina just had an NG tube placed 3 days ago and is undergoing treatment for thyroid cancer and a benign growth in her head so Beans loved discussing how nasty nose tubes and PICC lines are with her. It was great fun. I'm so glad we decided to spend one more night here before heading home in the morning.


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had an awesome time, and that you were able to help others. Drive safely, and let us know when you are home!

    I love you all!

    ReplyDelete