Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Plate of Nothing, Please

Tonight marked an amazing event. Tonight Beans got to eat his first food in a year! His choice of his first food to trial - white potato. There are so many things you can do with just a white potato and some salt...and I'm sure he'll try them all over the next few weeks.

In anticipation of the big 1-0 birthday on Monday, we've stayed in Orlando a couple extra nights to go to Sea World tomorrow with Grandpa. We started the celebration of right, with a dinner out at Uno's Grill on International Drive.

Beans thoroughly enjoyed his french fries. They must have tasted like the best food you or I could possibly imagine. Our waiter was incredibly attentive and on one of his stops at the table, after Grandpa and I had assured the waiter things were great, Beans said, with a big grin on his face, "it would be nice if we could get nothing." We all giggled and the waiter went about his duties.

A few minutes later our waiter arrived at our table, prepared with a nice, clean tray of absolutely nothing and presented it to Beans. You couldn't have seen a happier kid for miles around - and we are in Orlando, home of Disney & Sea World after all.

A few minutes later a beautiful female waitress came by. "I hope I have the right table," she says. "I have a full tray here of absolutely nothing." My heart was about to explode at this point. My baby ate, we're enjoying time with my dad and the wait staff has been incredibly attentive to my son on his first day eating.

Then, up walks a young man. You guessed it - another tray of nothing for the birthday boy. We were all in fits of laughter at this point. No one at the restaurant had any idea just how special this moment was - and how much having tray after tray of nothing - when that's all he's been able to eat for a year - delivered to our table meant.

I requested the manager come to our table and, blinking the tears from my eyes, I told him just how special this night was and how much I personally appreciated the attention of his employees, especially our waiter. On our waiter's next trip I explained to our waiter just how amazing our night was and thanked him for making it even more special.

To all the staff at Uno's on International Drive in Orlando - thank you. Thank you for entertaining the whims of an almost ten year old boy. Thank you for making his night unforgettable. Thank you for making my son laugh so hard that all the tables around us were giggling themselves. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited they provided everyone with such a wonderful experience, especially Beans!! Sitting here with happy tears!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great! Amazing how such a seemingly small gesture can be so incredibly meaningful. Happy Birthday, dude!!

    ReplyDelete