Tuesday, December 15, 2009

More Pieces of the Puzzle

Today Little Man's ENT called with the results of his sleep study. Seems we may be getting some answers. Poor little guy wakes up 10 times an HOUR all night long. He has abnormal sleep architecture (not sure if that was due to the frequent waking or if it's in addition to it). I'm not really sure if it's due to apnea or his neurological issues. The nurse did double check that he's had his tonsils out already (he did when he was 3). We'll find out more at his follow up appointment. We're waiting to get Beans' results before we schedule it so if he needs to be seen we can schedule them at the same time. For some reason they haven't received Beans' results yet, but she was calling the sleep lab to follow up on it. Hopefully soon we'll be seeing more of this:
and he'll wake more rested. I guess this explains why he's tired all the time. Hopefully there's something we can do to help him out.

In other news, yesterday was a big day. First the bad, I had to notify the nursing agency that Little Man's night nurse fell asleep on the job yet again. She'd received a final warning in the past (just a few days ago in fact) so she's been relieved of her duties. This leaves us without an overnight nurse. The agency is recruiting another one, but it will probably take time. Meanwhile, I'm very thankful for his evening nurse and that it's between semesters for me so I can have a chance to nap when I can. Which leads me to the other big news of the day. My final grades for fall semester were posted, and I got all A's! I've proven to myself that I CAN handle school and the kids' needs.

I was terrified that when I went back to school one of the kids would get very sick and I'd drop the ball. Well guess what, the kids did get sick and I had to miss a bunch of classes but I was still able to keep it together. I think a lot of the fear came from last time I was going to school. Beans was about a year old. I went back to working full time and going to school full time. Over the course of the year Beans got sicker and sicker. I'm ashamed to say I didn't realize how serious the situation had gotten until I was forced to take time off work and school. Within a few months of me quitting work, we'd found a bunch of his issues and he'd had his reflux surgery and g-tube placed. I guess I've never really forgiven myself for letting things get so bad. He went to all his doctor appointments and everything, but it takes more than a checkup every couple months to truly care for special kids. These A's I made this semester combined with seeing Beans and Little Man thriving mean so much more than a letter grade. This means we're making it! We're making it together and WE CAN DO THIS!

2 comments:

  1. Great report! The nurse issue will resolve, and the new one will be aware of what happened with the previous one. Don't blame yourself for not catching everything that happened with Blade. There were professionals who missed it, too, and now everything is great for him! You are doing a great job as a mom, and a student, too! I know you can do it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Rachie!! We all knew you could do it, but that doesn't take away from all the hard work it took and the desire to excel. We are so proud of you!
    Mormor

    ReplyDelete