Friday, July 24, 2009

One of Those Days

Most of the time I can handle things and live in a state of mind not worrying (well toooo much) about the day to day, just doing what has to be done and getting on with it. And then there are days like today.

It started off with me going through all the filing I'd set aside. Psychological and development results on Little Man. IEPs for school showing exactly where their academics are and where they should be. The notes from Beans last IEP meeting and all the things I need to bring up at his health plan meeting in the next couple weeks. Then came the page that hit me the hardest.

I decided back in May to change the kids' behavior therapy over to a different center, mainly to get them a male therapist. When I had them discharged from their previous place they sent me paperwork - of course, everywhere has a stack of paperwork right? Beans was pretty much as expected - goals of social skills, asking before hugging, participating. Next in the pile was Little Man's. He started therapy a year ago there with 3 diagnoses: ADHD, autism and mood disorder - not otherwise specified. The discharge report has at least 7 diagnoses listed and phrases like "deferred but probable multiple ID", "Intermittent Explosive Disorder" and two types of seizures (seizure disorders?).

His GAF (Global Assessment of Functioning Scale) level was 52 when he started. 100 is perfect, 90 is normal. 51-60 means "Moderate symptoms ( e.g., flat affect and circumstantial speech, occasional panic attacks ) OR moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning ( e.g., few friends, conflicts with peers or co-workers )."

His discharge score? 40! meaning "Some impairment in reality testing or communication ( e.g., speech is at times illogical, obscure, or irrelevant ) OR major impairment in several areas, such as work or school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood ( e.g., depressed man avoids friends, neglects family, and is unable to work; child frequently beats up younger children, is defiant at home, and is failing at school )."

His goals were things like recognizing anger, identifying feelings on request and completing tasks requiring 3 minutes of attention. The best he did on those was 4 out of 10 times with the first only 1 of 7.

I knew he was having issues but really, I don't think they're nearly as bad as they say. Maybe I'm in denial but I doubt it (lol isn't that almost what denial means?) We see the new therapist on Monday and I'll be bringing this up with him. I really don't want everyone thinking he's got so many issues when, personally, I think his issues are mostly related to his delays and autism.

Some days it's hard to see reports in black and white. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment