Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

We took a big chance going to Boston Pops 4th of July today. We left my brother's apartment bright and early and arrived at the Esplanade around 11 am. There were already a TON of people there of course, but we were able to get pretty darn good seats in the Oval.

I totally bombed the heat again with Beans. :( Sitting on our blanket in the sun he got way overheated again. Even the extra fluids didn't help this time. He had to lay down and then ended up "throwing up" thru his tube for a long time. My brother was again a total trooper, I'm sure seeing a bottle full of yuck wasn't in his game plan for today, but he got me ice and water and found some shade for us to sit in for the next few hours.

After it cooled down again, he was good to go. He ended up having a really special time with Uncle J. They tickled, cuddled, played games and had a great afternoon.


As expected, Little Man was on massive sensory overload. He was in a terrible mood most of the day then cried with his head buried into either the blanket or me for a good portion of the start of the concert. He did eventually calm down though and ended up loving the music. It's so hard to know what the best thing to do is with things like this. I can't always make Beans miss out just because Little Man can't deal with it well, and Little Man will never learn to deal with such things if I don't push him, but it did add a ton of stress to the day.
Beans couldn't wait to get his hands on one of these Statue of Liberty hats. He started asking around for them early in the day when he first saw them. Finally a police officer told him they'd started handing them out and he rushed over to get one.


The kids saw lots of new things today. Having lived in ultra-conservative Utah and then small town Florida, they've lived quite sheltered lives. Today they saw two people get arrested, a really sloppily drunk girl on the subway, and something I'm quite happy they'll be accustomed to - people of many different races and cultures, speaking different languages.


Overall it was an amazing day. I couldn't have done it without my brother, between navigating the Boston subway system, taking care of one kid when I was busy with the other, and keeping the kids from getting lost in the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment