Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dog Bite and Some Happier Events

I'll start with the sad so I can end with the happy. On Monday evening, at Little Man's guitar lesson, Beans was bit in the mouth by a dog. The dog's owner had brought him (a little Shih Tzu named Chin) to try and socialize him. Beans approached and owner insisted he wouldn't bite. Chin let Beans pet him a few times then the last time he bit him right on the mouth. :( Blood was pouring everywhere and Beans was of course a screaming, flailing octopus boy.

He actually got pretty lucky and didn't need any stitches but the dog got him in two places on his bottom lip, one on his top and a good gash on his top gum spanning the entire length. Since the cuts weren't deep the main concern is infection. Since it's in his mouth I can't put his normal mupirocin antibiotic cream on it so the pediatrician put him on a preventative antibiotic. The doctor had to report the bite to animal control who is tracking down the owner (the director of Little Man's music school should know who she is) and verifying the dog has had it's Rabies shot. As long as it's current Beans will be fine, if it has lapsed I'll be hearing from the health department and Beans will have to go through the series of Rabies shots. The owner told me when the dog bit that it had it's shots so I'm just crossing my fingers that they are up to date and we don't have to put Beans through that.

On our way home from the lesson, after the bite, I stopped at the grocery store to get something for Beans' sore mouth. I was so frazzled that I managed to leave my purse sitting in the cart when I loaded the kids back into the car. I didn't realize until 11:00 pm that it was missing so I called the store and by some miracle someone had turned it in! I picked it up the next morning and not a single thing was missing - not even my credit card or the little bit of cash I had! Thank you, thank you honest person. You saved me so much trouble.

Beans crashed in the Car after his rough day

Tuesday morning Beans had an opthalmologist appointment to check on his eyes. They are incredibly sensitive to light and the immunologist was concerned. Everything checked out perfectly! He has perfect vision and no neurological cause to the photophobia. And even better, a simple solution - he'll wear sunglasses. I can handle this one. :)


Things seem to be going along well as far as school is concerned. Beans has gotten 100% on both of his spelling tests - including the 5 challenge words each week! He's soaking the knowledge up like a sponge and loving it. He's so happy to be a "normal kid" as he puts it.

Little Man also seems to be doing well in school. His class is a little different so I don't have any grades or scores but his daily home notes seem to indicate he's doing much better this year than last at least in the behavior and participation areas.

As for me, I am loving school. The adult interaction and soaking up the knowledge myself is almost, as my brother J put it, a drug. I have to get busy tonight and finish my rough draft for an English essay due tomorrow and have another couple big papers coming up. It's a lot of work but it's so rewarding. And the college library - oh boy, I'm in heaven. I have found so many books on autism that should help me help Little Man better. I'm getting set up to implement visual activity schedules for him to try and promote some independent functional behavior. It will take work, but so does everything worthwhile. I'm excited to find new methods that might produce better results. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment