Thursday, September 17, 2009

Wonderful Evening

Today Little Man's class had the much anticipated open house. I have to say, yet again, how much I love his teacher. She gets Little Man, and all five of the boys in her class, unlike anyone ever has. As a minor example, the meeting tonight was supposed to start at 7:00. We start the ever-so-precious bedtime routine at 7:00 and messing with that is likely to mean the whole night's a bust. This was important though and I was willing to have a sleepless night to do this for Little Man. This morning his teacher called. She said that she understood that 7:00 would mess with bedtime routines (now mind you, I didn't say a word, this was all her own understanding) and if we'd like to come at 5:00 instead it would be great. Once I'd recovered enough to speak, I thanked her profusely and told her we'd see her at five.

Little Man was so excited. He insisted he needed to wear his black dress shirt and tie. Nothing else would work. He even managed to withstand the horror of wearing black socks (Don't ask, personally I think they feel the same but he will not wear them. Period.) to look his best. We arrived to a spread of sandwiches and chips, but he was too excited to show me things to eat just yet. First he showed me his Postcard Geography book and how hard he worked to write the names of the continents. Next he showed me his AR points. You could have knocked me over with a feather - Little Man has 6.7 points already this quarter! You see, in quarters one through three last year, he may have earned 6 points. He just reached halfway in the first quarter and he has 6.7. I got to tell him again how proud of him I am.

Just then his best friend walked in. Did you see what I said? BEST FRIEND! Does he look happy or what? When Best Friend arrived, it was so nice to talk with other parents who understand. Our kids aren't bad, they have different neurological systems and a lot more to deal with than your average kid. Sure, there are times we don't know how we'll make it through the next hour, but there are times we can't stop smiling too. Best Friend's parents, teacher, and I all talked for quite a while and it was a precious time. Teacher calls these kids hers and her love and understanding for them is so deep it just emanates from her. Every day I'm thankful for her and the work she does.

Lastly, I have to share the letter I told you about that Little Man gave me before my big tests.

"Good Be Lucky"
And just so you know, it worked perfectly! I aced both my psychology and nutrition tests and got my English essay turned in today. Thank you Little Man! Good Be Lucky to all of you too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment